Beachcomber’s Gold appears in three separate incarnations in Remixed, this version being a complete departure from the previous with only the light rum and Angostura bitters in each.
Donn was a tinkerer, rarely willing to call a recipe his “final” version. And as a Gnomish artisan, he excelled, but he wasn’t without failure…
Beachcomber’s Gold (Waikiki)
- 1oz light Puerto Rican Rum (Brugal White)
- 1/2oz gold Jamaican Rum (Appleton V/X)
- 3/4oz passion fruit juice
- 1/3oz lime juice
- 1/2oz honey mix
- 2 dashes Angostora bitters
Blend with 6oz crushed ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
The above version is a big mess of tart and stupid with no hint of the rum it contains. Determined that I’d followed the recipe to a T good enough for those big gold chains, I set out to modify it.
- The foam that the passion fruit juice generates is awesome when blended, so I wouldn’t recommend shaking this one. If you put it in a tall glass (unlike in the photo), the head will stick to the sides of the glass for a long while.
- Straining is called for in the original, but if you blend it for a few more seconds, you can just ignore that step. You’ll have plenty of tiny ice shards that dissolve as you finish the drink.
- The rum really needs to be beefed up – at least so you can taste it.
- Using quality honey is paramount. Find several you like and try each in this and other honey drinks, and for Tiki’s sake, don’t buy that bee spit in the plastic bear.
Beachcomber’s Gold (modified)
- 2oz gold Jamaican rum (Appleton V/X)
- 1/2oz light Puerto Rican rum (Brugal white)
- 1oz passion fruit juice
- 3/4oz lime juice
- 1 1/4oz honey mix
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 8 drops absinthe
Spin it right round in a blender with 8oz of crushed ice for about 5 seconds and pour into a narrow glass.
Rick from Kaiser Penguin
- Do you blend or shake your tiki drinks?
This post is part of the series, “Remixed: From Astro to Zadar” featuring recipes, brand recommendations, tips, and quirky knowledge to help you navigate the quintessential tiki tome, Beachbum Berry Remixed.