For the newcomer, coconut cream may look like a bad bedroom experiment – each can filled with translucent lard balls suspended in a snot-like fluid. But there’s an easy way to bring these disturbing partners together: empty the whole mess into a tupperware container or mason jar, pop on the lid, and shake vigorously. A coagulated mass of tasty white glory awaits you. Keep it in the fridge and it will likely stay “emulsified” for a long time.
Aurora Bora Borealis
- 1oz dark Jamaican rum (Coruba)
- 1oz light Puerto Rican rum (El Dorado 3-year)
- 1/2oz lime juice
- 1/4oz orange juice
- 1/2oz coconut cream (Coco Lopez)
- 1t orgeat syrup
- 4oz crushed ice
Blend for 15 seconds (or shake and strain) and donate to a tiki mug that looks like an angry Wind god.
- Coruba is the only dark Jamaican rum of its style worth drinking. Gosling’s is a mildly acceptable substitute. Myers should be avoided at all costs. Bring the flames.
- Coco Lopez is sometimes hard to find, but I see it popping up in more stores (often ghetto ones). If anyone has tasted a better coconut cream, please share.
- I chose El Dorado 3-year (ED3) to add a little more punch since there is a lot of sweet and creamy going on in the drink. Your favorite medium-aggressive white rum will do.
Orgeat and orange were a crime fighting pair like no other, and they had a long run together… that is, until coconut cream showed up. The duo thought they packed heat in style before, but now their magic has been transformed into a bazooka of flavor. Throw any villain into the mix, be it a Kraken, a gin-wielding beefeater, or the smarmiest of pirates, and every battle turns into a festival of love.
- What’s your favorite cream of coconut drink?