Last night sealed the deal on a new tradition in the cocktail community. For the second time, countless bloggers and readers found themselves in the Mixoloseum Chat Room sharing cocktail recipes, creating new ones, and imbibing into the wee hours of the night.
What are the rules?
- Show up.
- Come up with a crazy cocktail idea.
- Watch as it’s tweaked, discussed, and more than likely completely changed.
- Mix it up along with everyone else and share your thoughts.
- Consume (or dump down the drain) and repeat with a new cocktail.
We ended up with several new cocktails worthy of scribing in the books. Give them a try and share your thoughts here or in the chat room.
- 1oz Jamaican dark rum (used Coruba)
- 1oz 151 Demerara rum
- 1oz lime juice
- 3/4oz falernum (homemade)
- 3/4oz orgeat (homemade)
- 3 dashes Fee’s orange bitters
- 1 whole egg
- club soda to top
Shake like a crazy elf and double-strain into an ice-filled pint glass. Top with club soda.
Created by John, aka rhesuspieces00
Gabriel and I were both concerned about the 1 1/2oz of syrup in this beast, but it turned out to be just the right amount. The recipe could use a tweak or two, but overall I loved it. I haven’t had many tiki drinks with eggs, let alone whole eggs, so it was a treat.
- 1 1/2oz rye whiskey
- 3/4oz Benedictine
- 1/2oz Absinthe
- 1/2oz Fernet Branca
Stir with crushed ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Created by Sean from Scofflaw’s Den
Despite its name, this was one of the favorites of the evening. The combination of Fernet Branca and absinthe warrants further exploration.
The 7th Hour
- 1 1/2oz bourbon (used Buffalo Trace)
- 3/4oz Aperol
- 4oz ginger beer (used Reed’s)
- orange slice, for garnish
Build over ice and chuck in an orange slice with flair.
Created by Rick
The chat lasted seven hours last night. This was the final cocktail (pictured above) of the evening and maybe my favorite of the night.
If you’d like to see the full list of cocktails (that we can remember), head on over the Mixoloseum blog. And more importantly, stop what you are doing right now and: