Kaiser Penguin is hosting the next Mixology Monday, so get your entries in before March 17th! This round is devoted to cocktails that have a wee bit too much alcohol in them, yet somehow manage to be deliciously deadly.
Exotic cocktail spots would often advertise their potent potions by limiting a customer to one per evening. It wasn’t all gimmick, however; some recipes like the Zombie contained up to 5oz of 80-proof spirit! This phenomenon isn’t limited to just tiki drinks; in fact, many locales even have laws that forbid a bartender to create a drink with more than a specified quantity of liquor.
So for this month’s round of Mixology Monday, dig up your most potent cocktails. No Long Island Iced Teas allowed!
- Consume and write about your favorite, strongest drink. You know, the one that that is delightful, complex, and will leave you wanting to stay home from work the next day. It should contain at least 3oz of 80-proof spirit or have less than 1/2oz of non-spiritness.
- When you finish your post, please email me or post a comment with your link. I will include it in a round-up on Tuesday if I’ve recovered from trying as many of your drinks as I can.
- Include a link in your post to Kaiser Penguin so those who haven’t heard of Mx Monday can join in.
- Include a photo of your deadly potion; I plan to blatantly rip off Gabriel’s format from when he hosted, as it was just wonderful. So make sure to include a picture, unless you want a screen-shot of your blog text.
- Include the Mixology Monday logo along with your post!
I don’t want to leave you without a sturdy mix!
- 1/2oz lime juice
- 1/2oz simple syrup
- 6 drops pastis
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 1/2oz 151 proof Demerara rum
- freshly ground nutmeg and a cinnamon stick, for garnish
Blend with 3/4c crushed ice for 3 seconds. Pour into chilled and angry tiki mug, grate nutmeg over the top, and stab it with a cinnamon stick.
Grog Log, Jeff “Beachbum” Berry
- What’s your favorite cocktail containing 151-proof Demerara rum?